Total Pageviews

Friday, December 27, 2013

I'm an angry feminist? How are you NOT an angry feminist?

(Source: thegreatkh.blogspot.com)


From time to time, someone will ask me why I get so angry and/or passionate about women's rights, or they attempt to glean insight on the ulterior motive they assume I *must* have if I'm a man who speaks forcefully on feminist issues.

It's as simple as this... I imagine a world in which everything is reversed: men have never served as president or vice president, they only make up 20% of the Senate, only 18% of the House, only 4% of Fortune 500 CEOs, are barred from ordination in major religions that influence our politics, are objectified and commercialized like products, are 19x more likely to be raped or sexually-assaulted, are the victims of some form of sexual harassment on a daily basis, and are consistently and subconsciously informed that they exist as an extension of male entitlement.

I think of other things... like what if men had laws regulating their discharge of semen (potential human life)? Or if men were constantly told they were weaker and less intelligent? Or if men were culturally pressured to choose between being professionally successful and being a "good father"? Or told that they aren't good leaders? Or if they were targeted as "lying" or "slutty" if they came forward about being raped?

Or if every aspect of my sexuality was scrutinized because I lack the "right" parts?

And this only covers a fraction of what crosses my mind when I try to imagine what it would be like if the situation were reversed, if it were *my* rights and quality of life being directly and pervasively affected because of my gender.

You shouldn't be asking me why I'm angry; you should be asking yourself why you are NOT angry.


6 comments:

  1. This is short and sweet, and very well put. THANK YOU. As a writer, I must sympathize...I came out with a feminist article earlier this week about how I wanted to be respected for my work as a professional and not for the shape of my body. I was trolled pretty hard by a guy who said that he was going f*cking rape me because I was a f*cking whore, and that he and his friends would behead me. I had another peron on Reddit say that my desire to be respected as an equal was nothing more than entitlement. I wonder if it'll make any difference on the comments and reaction because you are a man writing about feminism, instead of a woman? Like, because it's a man saying "respect the women", it's suddenly okay. That sort of turns the whole thing around again, but anyway, we need more men like you in the world so we can have support from both sides. Thanks for being awesome. If you want to read my article you can find it here http://oimebaby.kinja.com/revenge-of-the-booty-call-a-late-night-discussion-1489556371/@oimebaby thanks again for your powerful words. -Kat Vallera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave you the wrong link, my bad! http://www.nomadikat.kinja.com/revenge-of-the-booty-call-a-late-night-discussion-1489556371/@nomadikat again, thanks for being awesome.

      Delete
  2. Same old talking points from the same old ridiculous feminists. Nobody is stopping women from running for office but I guess actually doing work is just a little too much. Nobody is stopping women from being CEO's either but again, you have to actually WORK. As for the religion, I couldn't care less.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Women now make up over half the voting population. Why don't they just get together and vote those privileged white men out of office?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feminists don't really want equality. They want equal outcome. They want to bypass the "work" to get to the benefits.

      Delete