It would seem my recent blog posts have pissed off Men's Rights Activists (known as "MRAs" for the rest of this post) because I, apparently, hate men due to my speaking out on the myriad of problems women face in our country (and the world) simply for being women.
You see, you can't stand up for women and still be a man. It's wrong. (*rolls eyes*)
So, I want to apologize to you, MRAs:
I want to apologize that no one really takes your childish ranting seriously as opposed to the great men who work alongside feminists to address both issues facing men and women. Teamwork: what a novel concept, huh?
I want to apologize for coming to the realization that *I* need feminism because, as a man, the patriarchy hurts me
I want to apologize that you never received the kind of childhood or education that would allow you to think critically in such a manner that you wouldn't decide what "feminism" is before you actually read up on it, that you take your cues from shock-jocks, conservative radio hosts, and blustering misogynists who make men look terrible.
I want to apologize that life has never graced you with any feminists (men or women) who are friends. Some of the greatest folks I've had the pleasure of knowing are committed, brilliant feminists.
I want to apologize that you believe men accounting for 9% of rape and sexual assault victims is apparently enough to warrant tossing aside the inherent cultural problems that make women constitute the other 91% of that total. Let me write that again: 91-fucking-percent of rape and sexual assault victims in this country are women.
I want to apologize for you never having positive influences in your life that taught you women who are victimized (or men, for that matter) are never to blame for rape and sexual assault, regardless of what they wear or drink or where they walk or what time of day it is or where they work.
I want to apologize for all this power you have in our political system: 80% of the Senate, 82% of the House, 6 of 9 Supreme Court Justices, 2/3 of the Presidential Cabinet, and 100% of every person to occupy the Oval Office and VP's chair.
I want to apologize that you have to compensate for having 95.8% of the CEO positions in Fortune 500 companies. That must be rough.
I want to apologize that men still make more than women in nearly every industry for the same jobs with the same experience. True story.
I want to apologize for being a man who doesn't buy into your bullshit and sees the bigger picture: that women, despite what we would wish to believe, really are treated as second-class citizens in this country.
So, leave as many comments on my blog as you want, and send me as many hateful messages as you wish, but I am never, ever going to back down from defending women's rights.
Either open your minds, or prepare to be left standing as bigots when the train leaves the station and our society progresses.